Military and Overseas Civilian Voters
Members of the military and United States civilians who are overseas on election day may still vote in the election by mail, email or fax.
Such voters must meet the following criteria:
- A “military voter” is a voter who is absent from his or her New Jersey residence on election day; and is entitled to vote whether he or she is living elsewhere in New Jersey (i.e. a military installation), outside of New Jersey or outside the United States.
- A “military voter” includes New Jersey citizens who are members of the Uniformed Services, Merchant Marine, Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- A spouse or dependent of a member of the military or other uniformed services is also considered to be a “military voter”.
- An “overseas voter” is a voter who is living outside of the United States and who was residing in New Jersey immediately prior to departure.
Note: The “overseas voter” need not have been registered to vote in New Jersey prior to going outside of the United States, but must have been domiciled in New Jersey and have possessed the qualifications to register and vote in New Jersey.
Note: ONLY the federal postcard application (“FPCA”) can be used for both voter registration and ballot request. If you use the New Jersey forms, you must separately submit a New Jersey voter registration form and a New Jersey mail-in ballot application.
Delivery of Ballot Application:
You can mail, fax or email the application.
Applications must be received not later than 30 days prior to an election to receive a Mail-in Ballot by air mail. If you would like to receive and vote by fax or email the applications must be received no later than 4 days prior to the election. If you use a Federal Post Card Application and it is received after the 21 day deadline prior to an election, you will still receive a Mail-in Ballot, then after the election the Monmouth County Superintendent of Elections will add you to the registration list if the application contains all of the required information.
Mail completed applications to:
Christine Giordano Hanlon
Monmouth County Clerk of Elections
300 Halls Mill Road
Freehold, New Jersey 07728
Fax completed applications to: 732-409-4887
Email completed applications to: ClerkofElections@co.monmouth.nj.us
If you fax or email the application, the original application must also be mailed to the Clerk’s Office at the address above.
Delivery Options for Receiving A Ballot:
You can request you receive a ballot by air-mail, fax or email.
- If you request to receive a ballot by fax, you must provide a fax number on the application.
- If you request to receive a ballot by email, you must provide an email address on the application.
If you do not receive your ballot in a timely manner, you may use a Federal Write-In Ballot (FWAB) for federal elections. To get a FWAB, click here.
For questions please call 732-431-7790 or send an email to the above email address.